PRP - Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy
What is PRP?
PRP is a revolutionary procedure which uses the components of your own blood to regenerate your skin. The ingredients of this innovative method reside within a fraction of your blood, called “Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)”. PRP treatment is enriched with platelets, stem cells and growth factors. Once you have received a platelet-rich plasma injection, the following components will accelerate tissue healing via new collagen formation at the treatment site. The process is relatively quick and painless. PRP has been extensively used for many years in plastic surgery, orthopaedics dentistry, cosmetic surgery, general surgery, sports medicine, hair transplants, skin rejuvenation, cardiac surgery and many different types of implants. Cosmetically, PRP has become popular due to use by celebrities.
What is PRP based on?
PRP is a method that utilizes Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). PRP is a concentration of human platelets (PLT) in a small volume of plasma. PRP harnesses the patients’ own (autologous) PLT, which is derived from his/her own blood. Orthopedically, the Platelet Rich Plasma helps patients to heal from trauma or surgery. PRP extracts the platelets that are used during this healing process.
Why is PRP so effective?
PRP utilizes your own blood; taking advantage of the human body’s normal healing pathways, but at an accelerated rate. Have you ever had a wound? During this time, many cells rush to the injured site to stimulate healing – among these cells there are platelets.
What Does PLT do at the Injection Site?
– Forms blood clots (PLT Gel)
– Releases growth factors and proteins
– Stimulates stem cells; regenerating new tissue
– Accelerates bone healing through osteoporosis-progenitor cells
For all these processes to take place, PLT must be intact
PRP for Face - Pre & Post Treatment Care
• Avoid Accutane 6 months before
• Avoid IPL/Laser procedures 7 days prior
• 5-7 days prior no waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis
• Avoid topical antibiotics, retinoids, antibiotics, exfoliates, hydroquinone, sunburn, and benzoyl peroxide 3 days before treatment.
• No shaving of area being treated on the day of the procedure
• Increase your water intake before the procedure, having 2 glasses of water with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On the day of the PRP treatment, have 500mL of water before your procedure.
• See your physician for antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and day of treatment if history of cold sores
• Stop taking supplements that thin out the blood which increases bruising such as: green tea, Omegas (ﬁsh oil), primrose oil, vitamin E, Ginkgo biloba, aspirin (after consulting doctor).
DAY OF TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
• Omit from utilizing creams, lotions, make up and/or deodorant in area being treated
• Update practitioner on any changes in skin condition, medical history, supplements, medications, and over the counter medicines
• Deny client today if: active cold sores, herpes simplex, or warts in the area to be treated are present, open sores, sunburned, or excessively sensitive skin within the application area, pregnancy, dermatitis or inﬂammatory rosacea within the peel application area.
POST-TREATMENT TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
• Immediately after your PRP procedure, your practitioner may apply moisturizer topically.
• Sensitivity and/or Redness may be present (and last up to a few days, depending on the individual)
• Do not take any anti-inﬂammatory medications such as Advil, or any other ibuprofen. The medical agents may interfere with the natural inﬂammatory process, which is responsible for skin rejuvenation
• Tylenol can be utilized as needed for any soreness.
• Avoid prolonged sun exposure and sun tanning for at least 3 days, 10 days if possible. If exposed to sun, always use sun screen SPF30 or above
• If irritated, do not scratch or pick at treated skin; keep moisturized
• Avoid sweating or strenuous exercise for 24 hours due to open pores
• You may clean your face with cool water and gently pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment.
• Cool compresses may be applied for excessive discomfort, burning, redness, or swelling.
• Mineral makeup may be applied after 24 hours.
• Regular skin care regimen may be restarted after 48 hours
• Multiple treatments are recommended for best results (series may range from of 3 – 5 treatments)
How does PRP Work?
Platelet rich plasma is a concentration of human platelets in a small volume of plasma, measured to be 1,000,000 platelets per mm3 or 2-6 times the original platelet concentration in our blood. Ten to twenty minutes before treatment, your physician will draw twenty milliliters of your blood using a standard procedure; causing minimal pain (similar to taking a blood test). After extracting your blood, the physician will conduct a centrifuge procedure which will last 6-9 minutes. PRP is injected below the surface of your skin into the therapeutic area, increasing the skin’s thickness.
Do I need a skin test before being treated with PRP?
No, you do not require a skin test before treatment.
Are the results from PRP immediate?
Not always. After your first treatment, it may appear that PRP worked immediately due to the swelling in the treated area, but this is because of the plasma. In a few days, the swelling will go down, and your body will absorb the water from the plasma – results of the therapy may not be seen after this time. PRP takes time to correct the deterioration of one’s skin gradually. During your post-therapy check-up, the healthcare practitioner may decide to administer another treatment for you.
Day 1: The treated area may be washed with your hands and a a gentle cleanser, using cool water; pat to dry, Omit from utilizing exfoliants, acids, or alcohol based products as they can make your skin very dry after the procedure.
Days 2-7: Within 2 days of your PRP procedure, there will be skin dryness and ﬂaking due to an increased turnover of skin cells. During this period, you may apply your regular moisturizer to the treatment area. Please follow the instructions given by your practitioner.
Days 7+: After a week of the PRP treatment, patients will notice their skin being smoother and more radiant. Please continue applying sun protections everyday.